Old Bill’s and Sustainability
Please join us on Saturday, September 7th for Old Bill’s 2013. While Old Bill’s has been working towards sustainability for several years, we pursued green event certification in 2012 through the Council for Responsible Sport. We learned in October 2012 that we had achieved Silver Certification! We were the first event in Wyoming to have such an honor. See the Council for Responsible Sport’s webpage for more details.
Old Bill’s reflects our community values, and sustainability is high on the list. We continue to make adjustments to the event to ensure that all of the resources required go further. The following are some of the ways we’re improving Old Bill’s Fun Run:
- START Bus will provide free rides to and from Old Bill’s. A shuttle will run continuously from the Albertson’s stop to the Antler Inn stop from 8:30 to 10am. The bus will also run continuously from the Teton Steakhouse stop to the Albertson’s stop from 11am to 1pm. Additionally, START will give all Old Bill’s participants a free ride from the Stilson lot and back on run day.
- Friends of Pathways will host a bike valet on the Town Square. Enjoy your run, the nonprofit booths and a yogurt parfait knowing that your bike is safe on the Square!
- As always, Jackson Curbside Recycling will provide recycling receptacles and dispose of the recycling for no charge to the event.
- Once again, Jackson Community Recycling/Teton County Integrated Solid Waste and Recycling will provide a container for all of our cardboard recycling.
- Two years ago, we eliminated all plastic water bottles from the event. Since then, we’ve saved about 3,400 bottles from the landfill. Jackson Community Recycling/Teton County Integrated Solid Waste and Recycling will man our water tables again this year. We secured compostable cornstarch cups from various Jackson businesses and will be able to compost them again this year.
- In 2012, we recycled the bibs that competitive runners wore. Those who didn’t want to keep it dropped their bib in the recycle box near the finish line. We hope to be able to do so again this year.
- The 2013 tshirt is made from 100% recycled content. Each shirt prevented 10 plastic water bottles from going to the landfill. This performance material is perfect for all of Jackson’s athletes and is great for wearing around town, too!
- Because raising money for nonprofits is the spirit of Old Bill’s, winners of the runs have always received money to donate to their favorite participating charities rather than a prize. The symbolic medals that accompany the donor form on run day were made from recycled materials by participants of Girls Actively Participating!
- Young Bill’s runners will all receive a medal symbolizing their accomplishment. The medals will be made from recycled materials by the Jackson Hole Children’s Museum.
- We are proud to say that we are committed to eliminating styrofoam from the event.